Solace in the hum

Monday, December 15, 2008
Sometimes when you least expect it, life just jumps up and bites you in the behind.  This happened to me at the end of this past week and as I prepared for a series of unexpected meetings, I found amazing solace and calm aboard the tread.  I'm not sure if it were the whirrr of my tread motor (although it is pretty quiet) or the steady rhythm of my steps that lulled me in to a quiet reassurance.  I felt grounded, focused, and ready to take on the world successfully, which, incidentally, I did.  After the meetings, I found the treadmill to be the perfect place to debrief.  I turned up my sabbatical soundtrack and let the motion, music, and minutes return me to my pre-meeting, stress-less place. As I gear up for another long week, I find that like any kind of activity, a little warm up aboard the tread pays off.  I am also pleased to note that although the week in hindsight seemed pretty stressful, I managed to maintain my routine and continue to make good progress toward my goals (see progress report to the right).

0 comments: