The list of things I can do while walking...

Wednesday, December 3, 2008
and working on my treadmill desk continues to grow.  Last week I hand sewed tiny little leaf shaped buttons on to a curtain I was making for my mother-in-law's new place.  Sixty little buttons in all.  Sure, it would probably have taken less time sitting in a chair and I had to be really careful not to mess the curtain up in the tread, but in the end it was a rewarding walk.  On the day after Christmas, I walked quietly and thought through all the decorations I had stashed under the stairs to come up with what I think is a fairly good display for our debut on the Christmas Homes tour.  Today I updated the address list for our annual Christmas, affixed all the labels, and then stuffed the cards. As I look forward to my return to work in January, I know that the greatest challenge will likely come in grading exams.  I have yet to be able to write a hand written note that doesn't look like it was forged by my eight year-old.  But like anything I have undertaken thus far aboard the tread, I suppose it might only be a matter of time before I might master such a skill.   I am hoping by the time Christmas rolls around I will be able to write legibly enough to practice while writing my thank you cards.  In looking back to the "Clean out the turkey" post (11/6), I am quite thrilled with how on-task I am (now if I could just figure out how to run the recycling to the recycling center from the sanctity of my treadmill desk life would be great.)  My youngest son has even pulled up one of the high stools to work on homework at the desk.  The picture above (of our mantle) clearly illustrates the sense of calm I have with less than 50 days until my sabbatical returns - filled with peace and joy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shannon said...

You are inspiring. I tried to read on the treadmill the other day and I almost fell off - so much for my "sense of balance" - on the treadmill and in life! :)

Juli said...

The key is S----L----O----W walking. The tread is usually set at 1.5 mph. I think to master the handwriting thing I will have to walk at less than that -- although you can give me your thoughts as the handwriting on the back of your Christmas card envelope was done aboard the tread.