The happy, sleepy, medium

Saturday, November 15, 2008
A few days back (it might have even been last weekend), I read an article about the effect of too little or too much sleep in regards to one's weight.  I think it might have been in one of the shiny, weekend newspaper inserts.  Anyway, when I updated my MedHelp trackers this morning, after accumulating a whopping 9 hours of sleep last night, I was curious whether the findings from the research were being replicated in my own life.  While the correlation isn't perfect, I did notice that there was usually a slight weight gain following days when I slept more than 8 or less than 7.  I have posted screen shots of the two trackers, in such a way that the sleep column lines up with the correct morning.  It was interesting to see that the stretch while I was in California (six dots in a row) and slept 9-10 hours per night did correlate with a bit of a weight gain (~ 2lbs).  And while there are many other variables, I really did try to behave myself in California (low stress, good exercise, healthy eating, etc.)  On days when I slept less than 7 hours, I also saw a increase.  The low and steady weight loss correlates with a good stretch of sleeping 7-8 hours.  The sleep tracker lists my average sleep as 7.6 hours.  I have slept as many as 10 hours (while in California) and as few as 6 hours.  What does this have to do with my treadmill desk project?  I'm not really sure other than that since beginning on this journey I have had much more consistent sleep than I did prior.

0 comments: