and holding...

Monday, November 24, 2008
"So this is your 'and holding...' birthday," a close friend said to me last Thursday on my 39th birthday.  I asked for clarification and she said "you know, 39 and holding..."  I told her that I planned on spending my 40th year working toward my 40th birthday so that I arrive to that day healthier in all aspects of my life - physically, emotionally, spiritually, and professionally.  Little did I know, as I made that statement, that I would be "and holding" sooner than later.  This was the first update in which I had not lost any weight, rather, I was just holding.  And while I continue to close in on other goals (Rimmy Jims, 2M steps, 1M seconds, 500 miles), it was the "and holding" realization that made me re-evaluate my mindset.  With sick kids home from school on Friday, relatives descending upon our guest room on Saturday, and the ongoing move of my mother-in-law in to a new apartment - I had to question my expectations for this week.  Were they realistic? Were my setbacks stress related (even though I feel fairly stress free)?  I did continue to make progress on inches lost and in the end, if I had to choose one or the other, I would like to fit into the new pants I just bought today rather than marry myself to a number on a scale.

0 comments: