The other side of the wall

Monday, December 8, 2008
What a delight to be on the other side of the wall and the feeling of satisfaction of pushing through my wall last night!  That, coupled with my weekly progress report, has reminded me that if I continue to stay on track, I will continue to move steadily toward my goals.  December 23 is shaping up to be an exciting day as I hopefully complete my revised goal of 500 miles and also cross the 1,000,000 seconds of walking mark.  Between now and then I have at least three winter holiday parties to attend and I am excited about picking out something to wear and show off the renovated me!  I have finished my sabbatical work, so the time I am putting in now on my treadmill desk will be paying it forward in to the spring semester -- syllabi planning, lecture notes, future article ideas, etc.  The thing I am most excited about upon my return is the response of my colleagues and campus friends to my new desk.  I am hoping to hit the office by 7:45am and put in a full hour prior to my 9am class.  I have noticed that the use of the treadmill desk in the morning has also reduced my coffee intake to a manageable level (read: able to drink enough water to balance the caffeine intake).   I am excited to take these new habits back to work and to inspire others to adopt similar commitments to a self-renovation project.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Just to let you know, you have already motivated me. The holidays (translate: Halloween to New Years) usually are a zero exercise time for me, because - insert any number of excuses here. But I am making the little changes - parking at the end of the lot, finding excuses to go up and down my stairs, taking a walk around the block. I wish we had a treadmill in our home, sigh. But you are inspiring me to be more mindful.

By the way, the printing on the Christmas card was perfect! :)

Juli said...

It is the Irish Christmas blessing and I love it. It might very well become our annual words for the Christmas picture

Shannon said...

I meant your printing - the writing you did while working on your treadmill desk!

But I love the Christmas blessing, too. I had never heard that before.

Juli said...

whoops, thanks I forgot I asked you to check it out! Your 100 mile prize went int he mail this morning.