750,000+ steps

Thursday, October 30, 2008
Since my live demo with Core Health a few days back, I've been curious about the number of steps I take per day. The American Heart Association recommends 10,000 steps per day.  It is at this level, according to their research, that the human body is able to better fight off disease, counter aging, and maintain a healthy weight.  So today I counted the number of steps I took in a minute (81).  Then I calculated the number of minutes I have walked during this experiment (9337) and multiplied the two numbers.  I was excited to see that I had already walked more than 750,000 steps and was on track to reach a million steps before my sabbatical is over.  On average, my new desk set-up has accounted for nearly double the AHA 10,000 step recommendation.  It is helpful to break out the steps, because they add up fast.  Averaging 19,000 steps per day, I am hoping to walk a million steps right around the winter holidays.  It will be interesting and challenging to see if I can maintain my schedule throughout Thanksgiving since my kids will be home from school for the week and we will likely be moving my mother-in-law into assisted living.  I will need the extra mileage just to counter the increased stress!

0 comments: